Hamas Cites Progress in Deal to Free Israeli Soldier – New York Times
Published: April 8, 2007
JERUSALEM, April 8 — Hamas militants involved in seizing an Israeli soldier whom they have held captive for 10 months said over the weekend that they had sent Israeli officials, through Egyptian mediators, a list of Palestinian prisoners they would demand released in exchange for freeing him.
Palestinian officials hailed the development as a concrete sign of progress in the case, but Israeli officials cautioned that a deal could still be a long way off.
Reports in the Israeli press quote unnamed Israeli government officials as saying that they had received the list and would review it , but a spokesman for the prime minister’s office would not confirm the reports.
A spokesman for Hamas, Fawzi Barhoum, said that the list was the sign of progress in the release of the soldier, Cpl. Gilad Shalit, who was captured by Hamas and two other militant groups in a raid into Israel last June.
“The names have been presented to the Egyptian mediators who in turn have presented it to the Israeli side,” Mr. Barhoum said today. “There is a clear progress in the fact a list of names has been presented.”
The list of about 450 names, according to the media reports, included Marwan Barghouti, a grass-roots leader of the Fatah faction and former leader of the Tanzim, the Fatah militia, in the West Bank. He was sentenced in 2002 to five life sentences for his role in the death of four Israelis and a foreigner. The list also reportedly included Ahmed Saadat, the leader of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, who is accused of coordinating the assassination of an Israeli tourism minister in 2001.
The Palestinian Authority information minister, Mustafa Barghouti, a distant relation of Marwan Barghouti, said on Saturday that “practical measures” to begin a prisoner exchange with Israel had begun.
“The Palestinians have done all they can regarding this case and the ball is now in the Israeli court,” Mustafa Barghouti said. “ Israel will now decide how quick the prisoners and Shalit will return home. If the Israeli government is serious in its intentions, it must seize the opportunity to end this chapter.”
- 1979 Iran goes against all recognized law to seize the occupants of the American Embassy in Tehran. 444 they are liberated.
- Iran seizes British Soldiers 1.7 miles from their border, against all recognized custom world wide, parades these British Marines and their ‘ confessions’ to their media and the world.
- Hamas seizes Israeli soldiers and makes demands.
Is anyone missing the logic here? Who and what will be seized next in this exhibition of ‘ global whinning ‘ ? They recognize nothing but their own situation. No one else matters. Or maybe I overstep. What do you think?
And my neighbor asks, “Why are you doing this?” and “What does this have to do with the Family Party? Everything.
- If we, families, do not work together to understamd and solve this hatred,
- if we continue to overlook the expansion of this peculiar strain of religious hatred into every aspect of our lives,
- we will discover for oursleves and
- with our families what happened to the Zorastorians,
- The Jews of Medina,
- and anyone and any nation who has ever lived as Dhimma under Sharia law.
- And even the plight of the arm-banded Jews under the control of Germans; who had learned such things for the dhimma engineers of the Middle East.